AREC Repeater Group, Inc.

Antenna Repair Job, December 14, 2005

Repair work was done by Kirms Communications
Contact Harry Kirm at


On October 24, 2005, hurricane Wilma paid us a visit.  During the second half of the storm the side angle brace of the antenna bracket (called a "stiff arm") broke and allowed the entire bracket to be twisted.  This tilted the antenna toward the southeast (about 30 degrees from vertical to the east and over 45 degrees to the south), with the dipole elements pointing up above the horizon to the northwest.  The antenna was also bent slightly, but still working OK (SWR 1.2:1).  Because of the distorted radiation pattern, distant and low power stations had difficulty accessing the repeater. 

On December 14th a tower climbing crew from Kirms Communication straightened the bracket, replaced the stiff arm, and installed a new antenna.  It turned out to be a challenging job and we were impressed by the professionalism and ingenuity of the Kirms crew.  You will get to meet them in the photos below.

It was a fascinating procedure.  Some Repeater Group Members were on site and we agreed that other hams might enjoy seeing how the work was done.  The entire process was photographed and we have posted a selection here which shows the job at each stage.  A brief narration is included with the photos.  We hope you will enjoy the slide show and find it as interesting as we did.

AREC Board of Directors

42 Pictures


8:45 am - The new antenna is ready to go.  This is a good shot to show how long the antenna is (23').

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

The climbing crew from Kirms arrives.  That's our new stiff arm on the rack.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Mike, crew foreman and climber, getting ready

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Ready to go up.  Notice the pulley and rope he will carry with him.  At the top
he will fasten the pulley to the tower and use it for hauling the heavy stuff

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

A beautiful morning.  Cool, clear and still.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

We have an observer (our "bird watt meter" - thanks Jamie)

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Just past the first guy wires, about 75'

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Approaching the main dish cluster, over 200'
At this point he has been climbing for 11 minutes.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Around 300'.  At this point he has been climbing for 22 minutes.
Our antenna with the broken stiff arm is visible at the upper left, just above
the two stick antennas.  From this angle it's slight bend can be seen,
just above the first element..

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Entering rarified atmosphere, over 300' (and 29 minutes).  Our antenna,
just below the torque collar, is at 355'

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

"Houston, we have a problem."  When Mike got to the top torque collar where he would be working, 
he found a loose antenna that had broken completely off its mast.  It was held only by an element hooked
over its support bracket and was flopping around in the wind (this antenna is visible in the picture taken
the day after the hurricane, at the bottom of the antenna photo page, and the element hooked over
the bracket is clearly visible).  It would have to be removed before anything else could be done .

 In this photo he has hooked the pulley to the tower above the bracket, tied the rope to the antenna,
and with ground crew controlling the tension has unhooked the antenna from the bracket.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Sending it down.  Our antenna is visible on the opposite side
below the collar.  This angle shows how bad the tilt is. 
We've been warming clouds with our signals.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Only 200' more to go.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

The next step is to go up above our antenna and fasten the pully where it will
be used for the rest of the job.  Here, Mike has attached a weight and is
lowering it to the ground crew who will attach a cable from a winch
on the truck.  It can then be used for ferrying heavier things.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

This close up shot gives us a good look at our broken stiff arm. 
Does that buzzard have a hungry look in his eye?

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

The ground crew has attached the cable with another pulley and is pulling it back up.  The pulley
will be fastened to the tower and the cable end, with rope still attached, will make a round trip back to
the ground.  The winch can then be used to raise the heavier materials.  The rope will remain attached
to the cable and will act as a control line from the ground.  Notice the canvas tool bag.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Up goes the tool bag.  The point where the rope and cable connect contains a central ring
to which various things can be fastened.  This is the primary working point for the system.
It allows the ground crew to assist the climber in moving parts into position by
raising and lowering with the cable, and adjusting the position with the rope. 

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Mike is securing the tool bag.  This angle gives us a dramatic view of our antenna.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

The next order of business is to remove the broken stiff arm.  Mike is tying a line to it in this shot.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Removing the stiff arm bolts...

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

The ground crew waits to lower the stiff arm.  Ozzie on the left, and Papa.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Here it comes...

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Wow!  What a mess.  The rest of the support bracket is in good condition.
The new antenna is in the background.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

The next task is to straighten the offset bracket, and it turned out to be the biggest
challenge of the day.  Here, Mike is fastening one end of a come-along to the top
of the bracket.  The other end will be on the north tower leg behind him.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Here he can be seen using the come-along ratchet to pull the bracket
back into alignment.  The old antenna is still attached because
it is too difficult to remove in this position.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

The next task is to remove the old antenna.  In this shot Mike has used the
come-along again, this time to swing the entire bracket to the south (it normally
points southwest) in order to position the top of the antenna close to the antenna
bracket above it.  This will allow him to walk out on that bracket and reach the
antenna tip to fasten the cable.  In this shot the come-along can be seen
running from under his right foot over to the east tower leg.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Next, Mike is fastening the rope/cable connector to the base of the antenna.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

In this shot he has walked out on the upper bracket and is fastening the cable to
 the top of the antenna.  Then he will go back down and remove the antenna
from the bracket.  This top attachment allows the ground crew to control
the tension and keep the antenna vertical when its clamps are loosened

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Here, he has removed the antenna and signals the ground crew to lower it.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Notice how a simple clip is used to fasten the cable to the top element
for the trip down.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

On the ground, the new antenna get its clamps adjusted.  The old antenna is on the left.
From left to right: Papa and Ozzie from Kirms, and Rex KF4FAJ.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Up she goes.  Looks like a rocket

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Positioning the new antenna is a careful balancing act, with the ground crew
controlling tension on the top with the cable.  They are in contact
by radio as well as hand signals.  He carries two radios, in case one fails.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Now he is heading back to the upper bracket.  The cable is still attached
to the top of the antenna.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Releasing the cable

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

At this point the bracket has been swung back to the southwest, and Mike
is aligning the elements to the west (a final more precise alignment was done
at the end, with help from the ground crew on the radio).

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Couldn't resist this shot

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

The next step is installing the new stiff arm.  Here it is en route via the
cable express.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

Installing the new stiff arm.  The right end goes through U-bolts on a plate
attached to the tower leg, which can be seen clearly in photo #31.
Notice that the left end is still attached to the cable/rope link,
controlled by the ground crew.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

The stiff arm installation completed,  Mike is now beginning the final alignments,
which required some more pulling on the bracket, adjusting the stiff arm,
turning the antenna a few degrees, and, finally, adding an extra clamp plate
to the bottom antenna clamp in order to shim it out.  This was necessary
because he could not get the bracket end perfectly vertical.

nh1set22.jpg (78510 bytes)

All done.  SWR is 1.1:1  We're back in full coverage operation.

Our thanks to Kirms Communication for doing an excellent job under challenging circumstances.

Back To Top

Back to Home Page

Photo Page

../AREC67%20-%202017/images/rule11.gif (410 bytes)

Copyright (c) AREC Repeater Group, Inc.